Happy New Year to all and welcome to the second term of 2017/8 academic year! It is my hope that you had a restful break and enjoyed the company of responsible, honest and caring BKIS students. We are glad to have you back.
Previous terms, our focus has been on Values. As a community, we have endeavoured to display the values such as Responsibility, Caring and Honesty among others in our daily lives. This term, our focus is on Courtesy. It is our hope that a product of BKIS will be a courteous person. In our first assembly, we brainstormed on the meaning of courtesy as well as ways to be courteous. This led us to the ten rules of common courtesy as listed below:
- Show respect for others.
- Always apologize when you do something wrong.
- When someone is having a conversation, do not interrupt.
- When you change your plans, let others know.
- Respect the needs of others in public.
- Never embarrass another person.
- When refusing an invitation, be kind and honest.
- Respect your elders.
- Use good table manners.
- Respect other people’s property.
As always TEAMWORK will enhance realization of our target.
Our seniors started their second term with Mock exams. These will run until the end of the month. The results will be used to address any academic concerns as they get ready for the forth coming IGCSE. Best of luck to the candidates. As always, let’s support them by observing silence when exams are in session.
Clubs and After School Sports
Next week, we shall begin our after school activities. This basically means that school will be ending at 4:10 pm.The clubs allocation for second term is nearly complete, thanks to everyone for the prompt return of the forms to Ms. Donia. As was mentioned in the club’s letter, non-paying clubs are generally allocated on first come basis. Kindly note that if the first choice is full, the club’s coordinator will consider the second option.
The sports schedule is also ready and the all students are expected to be properly kitted for the activities on offer every Monday and Wednesday.
A big thank you to Mr. & Mrs Griffith who have offered to continue running the Dodge Club.
Before the end of last term, we had three BKIS students (Jesse, Cindy and Aiden) join the Braeburn team for a tour in South Africa. The experience and exposure gained as was mentioned by Cindy in the assembly is great. Well done to the team!
On 20th January (Next Saturday) there will be an Open Swimming Gala at Aga Khan Primary. We encourage many students to participate as always.
This term, it is year 3-10 turn to stage a production. Auditions were held this week and the full list of the cast will be out soon. For the sake of everyone, the title of the play is Beauty and the Beast. A schedule for rehearsals will be on the display board soon.
- MSMUN : A group of ten students will be away in Nairobi for a weeklong conference at the UN headquarters at Gigiri. It will be a great opportunity to debate global issues with peers. They will leave BKIS on Monday to be back on Sunday 21st January 2018
- Scouts: The annual Braeburn Scouts Camporee is finally here with us. Boys and girls will leave on Thursday to be back on Saturday 20th January.
- John Garrod: This annual tournament will be held in our sister school BGE on the 20th We shall have a BKIS team taking part in it. Part of the team will leave on Friday 19th to join other members who are part of the MSMUN group.
- Martin Luther King Jr Day: For the first time BKIS will be observing this great day. It is always observed on every third Monday of January each year. Exciting activities have been lined up.
New Members of BKIS
A big welcome to Rosa, Jaden, Jaimie, Martin and Levi into the students’ body. This has been their first week in BKIS and its like they have been here for the last one term! We also had an opportunity to welcome Mr. Alwanyi who has replaced Mr. Ndungu in Year 4. It is my hope that as usual, we shall continue to support them to settle in BKIS.